As I scroll through my college friends’ Instagram and Facebook feeds I’m hit with looming feelings of nostalgia. A new school year has begun for many, and this is my first year not being at college.
Lots of adults like to look back at college as the best four years of their lives, myself included. Unfortunately I somehow missed an important memo while I was in college: flashing your student ID at various stores gets you more discounts than nearly any other point in your life. Of course, your student ID is important for the library or campus eateries. Yet the real magic happens off campus. With your card or sometimes just an e-mail ending in .edu, you can receive decent discounts on everything from clothes to computers.
Sometimes college students feel as though they are drowning in debt. Saving money anywhere is helpful. So, below I’ve compiled a list of some retailers who seem to (sort of) understand the large financial burdens that college students carry today.
- Amazon Prime
- Free six month trial, then a 50% yearly membership fee.
- Free two-day shipping
- 15% off (excludes non-holiday, weekday Acela trains) when you book online and show student ID when boarding
- Ann Taylor
- 15% discount in store when you bring your student ID
- 10% discount with student ID in store or the honor system online
- Usually a back-to-school discount around June 1 – September 1 each year
- Banana Republic
- 15% off full-priced items in store with student ID
- Club Monaco
- 20% off with student ID in store or with valid college email online
- 20% off full priced items in stores or online with student email
- 20% off in stores with student ID (*only select stores)
- 20% off thousands of destinations
- J.Crew and J.Crew Factory
- 15% off full-priced items in store with college ID
- 15% off online with college email
- 15% off in store with college ID
- 5 Free Microsoft Office Suite downloads with college email
- Movie Theatres
- Most likely your local movie theatre will offer a few dollars off your ticket price with valid student ID
- Most museums offer student discounts, just check with them
- Sam’s Club
- $40 per year membership + $15 gift card when you sign up in stores
- The New York Times
- $1 per month online access to articles or 50% off printed material with valid college email address
- 10% off year round with discount code online (sign up for Student Advantage Card which costs $20)
Do you know of any other places that offer student discounts? Let me know!